Saturday, January 21, 2012

Reclaiming Territory




After three weeks of school putting me in a slump, I have felt a revival these past fews days. Maybe it has been the clean snow blanketing my eyes and mind from the dirt and dead. Perhaps a full eight hours of sleep every night has been doing me good. More likely, however, is the fact that I have been acknowledging the longings of my soul. Starting each morning with a mug of tea and a bowl of oatmeal, fresh berries and nuts. Taking walks to one of my favorite views, overlooking Portage Bay and gazing upon the backside of Capital Hill, featuring houseboats, beautiful homes, evergreens and the top of the Space Needle. Getting my relational and aesthetic fix, taking late-night strolls in pristine whiteness and going on outings with warm and gentle-spirited friends. Reasserting myself in the kitchen, making dinners chock full of vegetables, and counteracting my goodness by baking decadent double chocolate banana bread (which let's be real is more like cake). Taking charge of my creative impulses and painting ceramics. Escaping to Paris via film. Balance for this self-admitting academic perfectionist can be a struggle, but it is absolutely necessary.

No comments:

Post a Comment