Saturday, July 2, 2011

Pucker Up



It takes elbow grease to grate six lemons for a mere three and a half teaspoons of zest. I was half a cup of sugar short, and I've eaten a single cookie in dough alone. Crap. And yet here I am practically licking the bowl clean as my last batch bakes. Double crap. Did I mention these things have two sticks of butter in them? Triple...well, you get the picture. Meanwhile I'm watching the elegantly thin, nipped-in waist of Grace Kelly run around trying to solve a murder in Rear Window (good grief I love this movie). 

Anyway, back to the cookies. These lemon poppy-seed cookies, courtesy of Martha Stewart, are fantastic! The perfect summer cookie if you ask me, especially considering that the sun showed its face today. A lovely zing of citrus and a fun burst of poppy seeds between your teeth. However, I did make a few alterations. I added a heaping half cup of powdered sugar to the mix rather than rolling the cookies in sugar and lemon zest before baking. Additionally, I added a teaspoon and a half of pure lemon extract to the wet mix for extra oomph, which was definitely necessary. This is yet another recipe added to my mental "I will definitely make you again" list. 

No comments:

Post a Comment