Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Sister Sister













There couldn't have been a better day for my sister to come visit. After three years of wanting her to stay with me in Seattle, she finally did, and it was a grand event. The little bookworm told me all about Leonardo da Vinci and Annie Oakley over pesto whole wheat pasta and vegetables. There were lots of giggles over Monsters Inc. while sipping on our preferred beverages, cocoa for her and herbal tea for me. Although I must admit, I was simultaneously poring over the latest issue of Real Simple, my ultimate source of inspiration. 

The forecast said rain showers. Boy oh boy was my Mac dashboard completely off. Sunshine and 60 degree weather was a welcome surprise! We dashed off to Green Lake for a brisk morning walk amid daffodils, cherry blossoms, baby strollers and labradoodles en mass. Surrounded by stylish first-time mothers decked out in Lululemon chasing around stubby-legged Crew Cuts representatives, Caroline and I showed off our long windblown hair at soaring heights on the playground swings. Relaxation was beckoning us home.

Soon the kitchen found itself filled with the loving aroma of butter, bananas and chocolate. It drifted through the backdoor, down the stairs, and out to the backyard, where we reclined exposing our winter skin to the first real sun of spring. What should we do now? Lunches, crayons, Disney princesses coloring book, and blanket in tow we made our way down through campus to the quad, which was densely populated with similarly pale faces, weapons disguised as frisbees and an entire tuning choir. 

But it really wouldn't have mattered what we did together. Reveling in our sisterhood and each other's company was more than enough to make us content. 

At the end of the day I sent her home with fingernails painted green, tupperware full of banana chocolate chip bars, memories of quality sister time and dreams of playing soccer for UW. I do not doubt she slept very well that night. 

No comments:

Post a Comment