Monday, January 7, 2013

Moveable




The kiddos went back to school today. For the first time since before the start of preschool, roughly 18 years ago, I did not join them. I saw students with fresh books and a hustle in their steps walking en masse down Greek Row and onto campus. As for me, I sauntered and lagged behind. I fancied a good laugh right about then over how ridiculous I had probably looked in the past, struggling to make it to class on time (on more than just a few occasions), just like I saw others doing now. 

To be fair, I am sure I will miss school at some point in my life. Nostalgia will inevitably arise during some random 40 hour workweek. My brain will skip over the stressful former reality of studying, and instead choose to focus on the countless pajama days I once enjoyed, and of hours spent in my bed writing papers and reading. Even now it sounds horrid, but I'm sure the day will come when I long to reclaim my youth and the constant acquiring of knowledge that came with it.

Knowledge, however, doesn't stop at age 22. While the end of school is clearly the finale of my educational foundation, it is also a jumping off point for the rest of my life. To compensate for my failure to feel distraught over not having to back to school today, I started my book club read. Yes, I am in a book club. A few friends and I started it. Four young women; three graduates, and one still in undergrad; two international studies majors, one English major, and one art history and communication major. It is a small group, but our interests and backgrounds are guaranteed to result in tasteful reads and fantastic conversation. There will probably also be treats, not only for the mind, but also our stomachs (girls, I promise to always bake new treats for you, so long as you approve of being my taste-testing guinea pigs). We are to call ourselves "The Moveable Feast". 

I hope to engage in a moveable feast all my life. Just as Paris stayed with Hemingway for the rest of his days, I too anticipate my experiences, influences, and memories accompanying and shaping me along the way (hopefully with personal memories of Paris thrown into the mix). I also hope to be part of other people's moveable feast, impressing myself and therefore my God upon them in a way that is positive, and hopefully eternal. 

Shall we strive to always be learning and growing? Let us do just that. Let us never be satisfied with being content. 

No comments:

Post a Comment